Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Seaweed?? Who knew

For those of you who know me pretty well, know that I have an obsession with magazines (we'll call it research), and the other day I was reading Women's Health when I came across a little tidbit about seaweed; I was very intrigued and I've included it below...
"Alginate is a dietary fiber found in seaweed that could someday be used to make reduced-fat foods.  In experiments, it reduced fat absorption in the digestive system by as much as 75% percent."
Now you don't have to be a mathematician to know that 75% is a ton! If this is true then seaweed definitely needs to be a staple in any and every diet.  I did a little research of my own on the subject come to find out, seaweed is so nutrient rich, less than one gram a day can make a huge difference in lowering cholesterol, balancing thyroid problems and lowering your body's fat!!  Almost every skinny person I know absolutely loves sushi (which is wrapped in seaweed) and now I'm thinking that it's no coincidence! Here is my dilemma, I hate sushi, the thought of raw fish and the way you have to put the whole thing in your mouth at once makes me cringe....and its the only thing I know of that uses seaweed.  Now that I know this information about seaweed I simply must include it in my daily routine.  Aside from eating sushi paper (no thanks!), does anyone have any suggestions or recipes to share to make this diet miracle more palletable??  I'm going to continue my research on the subject and will keep you updated with my findings too!

No comments:

Post a Comment