Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Delicious and Nutritious Waffles!

You always hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Well its not just a saying, its totally right on point!  When you eat a healthy filling breakfast, you set yourself up to make great eating choices all day long, and you will be less hungry!  Think of it like this: Eat like a queen for breakfast, a princess for lunch and a pauper for dinner and a small snack in between if you're still hungry.  I personally eat a huge breakfast and I'm not even hungry again until early afternoon!  I don't usually have time to make waffles before work but they are my weekend breakfast staple and the recipe I've created below is my absolute favorite.  You might notice in my recipes I never use low fat or fat free products (unless they are naturally low fat or fat-free).  It is better to have the nutrients that occur naturally in full fat foods than have the depleted and chemically enhanced "diet" foods! I could go on and on about that but I'll save it for another day ;)
Quinoa Waffles
1/2 cup quinoa flour (or whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 T butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
Mix all of the ingredients together with a hand mixer and cook in a waffle iron until done.  Optional: Top with 2 tablespoons of neufchatel cheese, berries and agave syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment